Pages

Sunday, June 10, 2012

Glazing/antiquing

Glazing your furniture can really add definition and character to the appearance.  The {coffee table} I just got has such great details that I really wanted to emphasize them.
I use {Valspar Antiquing Glaze}, which is pre-tinted, but you can also buy clear glazes and then get the worker to add whatever colour you want.  You need hardly any to do a piece of furniture, so I would recommend getting the smallest size you can. 
Once your piece is primed and painted, you can start glazing away.  I don't like a super heavy colour, so I mix about 1/4c glaze with 2T water to thin it out and make it easier to manipulate.  With the cheapest brush you can find, just brush on the glaze in a smallish section. I like to work in sections by board or length of trim to prevent dark edges drying where you don't want them to.  Make sure you go to town with getting the glaze into all of the cracks and ridges. Right away, wipe off the glaze with a wet paper towel to get the bulk of it off. Then take a wet rag and wipe off the remaining bits that you don't want.  Then touch it up with a dry rag, getting rid of leftover water and glaze. You can leave as much glaze on as you want, or wipe off everything you can't get to.

Easy, eh? 

No comments:

Post a Comment